Beauty Product Review: The FaceShop - Acne Solution Foam Cleansing

Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Faceshop acne solution foaming cleanser
Review: The Faceshop - acne solution foam cleansing
Back with another product review! This time it's the Acne Solution Foam Cleansing(cleanser) from TheFaceShop's clean face line, one of their acne/oily skin lines. 
Okay, I'll admit, my skin is terrible. It's  super oily, like soaks through 10 blotting papers oily, and it's very acne-prone. Although I've never had extremely severe acne, the mild pimples have left a lot of scars. It only looks good in photos thanks to this miracle product called photoshop and the soft focus effect on my camera. And plus, because most of the blemishes are scars, it's quite easy to cover with some bb cream or foundation. So don't be fooled! My skin looks great in photos, but that's sadly far from reality :(  
I'm sure that everyone who has, or has ever had acne realizes the huge number of products out there to treat it. Personally, I don't believe in any miracle products that once used, will instantly transform your acne-plagued skin into flawless perfection. If any products do that, you should probably be wary because usually those products make your skin worse once you stop using them; It's like a drug addiction. Okay maybe I exaggerate, but I wouldn't want the condition of my skin to depend on a product. But that being said, I do think there are products that can help your skin, and having a good skincare routine with good products will do your skin a lot of good. 
Well, finally time to start talking about this product! It's basically a foaming cleanser, targeted towards oily/acne-prone skin. It's from the FaceShop's "clean face" line, which has other products targeted towards the same skin type. I'll be doing reviews some other products from this line soon, so keep an eye out! The description on the bottle says: 
"This New and improved, Green Tea treats oily or problem skin more quickly and effectively."
Okay so maybe that doesn't make perfect sense, but you get what they're trying to say. 
Cleanser packaging

The packaging is a convenient squeeze tube. It's really easy to use, and I like how it's easy to control the amount that comes out of the bottle. It's also a very generous amount; the bottle is big, with 150 mL of product inside. It's been around 4 months since I've gotten this and I've only used up around one third of the tube! 
list of ingredients
Here's a picture of the directions and ingredients.

Main Active Ingredients:

Myristic Acid: A cleansing agent that creates foam, but can be drying to the skin.

Camellia Sinensis leaf extract: The fancy term for green tea extract. Green tea is really good for acne-prone skin, or just skin in general. It has a long list of benefits: antioxidant, anti-flammatory, anti-carcinogenic (meaning it prevents cancer??!), prevents collagen breakdown, and protects from UV damage. Wow, who knew green tea could do all that?

Triclocarban: One of the main advertised "active ingredients", I almost missed it as it was so far down the list. Similar to triclosan, another common ingredient, which are both anti-bacterials that kill the bacteria that causes acne. After researching this ingredient, I've read that there's been a lot of controversy around it, although apparently studies have shown that it is not harmful in the small quantities of it present in cosmetics. I'm hoping that's the case... 

Most of the other ingredients don't have any particular benefits to the skin, but are simply used as carrying/thickening agents.  

Here's what the product inside looks like, it's white and slightly shimmery-looking, and turns into a lather after I rubbed a little bit of warm water. It smells nice, like green tea, and also that signature FaceShop scent, which probably comes from the added fragrance in most of their products. A tiny bit goes a long way, since it is foaming, a lot of lather is created and it's really taking me a long time to use this product up! Considering the generous amount of product in the tube, I've been using it for around 4 months now, and I'm only one-third of the way done the tube. But that being said, I only using once a day, and I use a different cleanser in the morning. It's definitely going to outlast the toner and moisturizer that I bought at the same time. 
My main issue with this product is that it's drying. This is probably due to the myristic acid, which causes it to foam, and the potassium hydroxide. It gives a sort of tight feeling on the skin after washing off. I personally don't mind too much, since I have extremely oily skin and it doesn't feel too bad getting all the oil off, but if you have dry or sensitive skin, I would probably stay away from this product! 
As for improving my breakouts and skin overall, I do think my skin has been improving quite a bit recently, but I don't think this cleanser deserves to get all the credit, because I have been taking better care of my skin and using several other products, and drinking more water in general. But not to discredit this cleanser entirely, I have noticed less inflammation and sometimes even disappearing whiteheads after using this cleanser. 

Overview: 
Pros:
+ generous amount of product in a convenient package
+ good active ingredients
+ didn't break me out, treated acne (somewhat)
+ cleanses your skin thoroughly 

Cons:
- Scent is a little strong
- drying, not recommended for sensitive skin
- Contains some controversial ingredients?? 

Overall, it worked well, and I'll continue using it until it's done! Probably won't repurchase because I want to try something new though. 
I purchased this for 13$ at a local Faceshop store, but the problem with Faceshop stores is that their in-store prices vary a lot, from store to store, so watch out! But you can also get this at amazon for $8.92. 

Thanks for reading, let me know if you've tried this product or any other products from this line, and what you thought. I'd love to know!


Suzy


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12582899/?claim=c4jhmk8yfuf">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>


You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Such a great review! I have dry sensitive skin so I am glad i read your review before I tried using it!

    Rebecca
    www.winnipegstyle.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. good review.. It's really helpful thou..
    heyy, do you mind if we follow each other?

    justlittlemine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweetie♥
    But of course! I'll follow you back right now♥
    Through Google+, Bloglovin and tried with >GFC, but appear this:
    >>We're sorry...
    We were unable to handle your request. Please try again or return a bit later<<
    So I'll try it again tomorrow ^^

    First.. Your review is simply great! You know what _? I dont think my reviews are this perfect :p
    But.. I'm pretty newbie as blogger ^^
    I just tried the highligther beam from face shop, nothing else... but since you said has 'dry effect' .. I dont think Im gonna try this :(

    Let's keep in touch ♥

    XOXO from:
    http://beautysis-co.blogspot.com
    ''Beautyfying life since 2014''

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have acne prone skin too and it sucks but I think I have it under control somewhat. you should try avene or la roche-posay products! This was a good review! thanks for stopping by my blog!
    www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually use the la roche-posay sunscreen :) it works really well! I guess I"ll try some other things too, thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  5. Nice Blog Thank for the review,
    Buy Biotique Bio Berberry Hydrating Cleanser from RetailPharma that Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth.
    Cleansing Milk
    Biotique Product Review

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about acne. Please keep sharing.
    Health Is A Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. god review will try this as i have very stubborn acne and scars pure Moroccan argan oil online in pakistan
    organic rosehip oil online in pakistan
    Pure organic coconut oil online in pakistan am using different products to get rid of these scars but new acne pop ups every weak

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Subscribe